Yup, there’s no denying it, Dubai is one of the world’s most expensive cities in the world. Maybe its the end of the month and you’re waiting on payday, maybe you’re saving for something special, maybe like me you’re just permanently skint. But there is no need to sit inside, you can do plenty of things for FREE in this city, and sometimes the free things are the best! Here are my top 10 FREE activities in Dubai…
2. Watch a movie under the stars at Wafi Mall. Every Sunday at 8.30pm Wafi Mall show a different film on their roof terrace. Sit on beanbags and enjoy! Find out more here. Also at WAFI is the light and sound show which takes place each evening at 6.30pm, 7.30pm, 8pm and 9.30pm.
3. Watch the sunset at the beach. Have a wander along to one of the public beaches. Kite Beach, or JBR. Here you can take a drink and snack and have a swim, a sit, watch the sunset or just enjoy the lively atmosphere.
4. Watch the fountain show at Dubai Mall! The fountain show is completely free, and you can get to Dubai Mall via the Metro. My favourite free spots to watch the fountains are from the Apple store terrace, the bridge over to Souk al Bahar and around the other side by Burj Park.
5. Go to see the horse racing at Meydan from horse racing season (November-March).. General admission is completely FREE for many races. I’m always surprised how few tourists and residents know about this. Get the schedule here.
6. Learn about Arabic coffee in the Coffee Museum, entry is free, although if you want a coffee in the cafe you have to pay for that, and have a wander around the Creek and old Dubai afterwards. Al Fahidi fort is another free attraction.
7. Fly a kite at Kite beach. Okay you have to buy the kite, but after that you can go to the beach again and again! This beach is my favourite in Dubai. This is such a fun activity for children.
8. Window shop at the fascinating gold and spice souks in old Dubai. Get a Metro to Al Ras station and its about a five minute walk from there.
9. Take a stroll along Dubai Canal. Get the Metro to Business Bay and walk along for about 15 minutes. At night the area comes alive with lit up waterfalls…
10. Go to Dubai festival city and watch the incredible spectacle of the IMAGINE: light, water and sound show with the backdrop of Dubai skyline in the horizon… Get timings here. While you’re there have a wander around the Mall- strictly to window shop and people watch of course!
BONUS for the ladies: Get your pick of FREE drinks at a ladies night! See my post here for my favourite ladies nights!
Which of these free activities in Dubai have you done? What is next to tick off? Are there any others which you think should have made my top ten?
Check out my bucket list of 100 things to do in Dubai here.
If you’re here on a stopover or short break check out my post of what to do in Dubai in 48 hours here.
Let’s connect on social media. I always follow back!
Hi, I live and work in Dubai. I enjoy getting out and about and seeing what Dubai has to offer, travelling in my holidays and spare time – prepare for blog posts about this, and cooking vegetarian recipes. I am passionate about travel and animals.